Monday, January 25, 2010

A Heartbreaking Mission Update

photo via llu

SLO native, Dr. Scott Nelson in Haiti, headed for surgery. Click here to read the whole story.

Peter Nelson has been in sporadic touch with his son; last week, Scott Nelson told his father in a phone call: “ ‘Dad, I get about two to three hours of sleep a night. I’ve had about 90 surgeries so far (as of Jan. 19), with another 20 patients lined up and another 100 left outside. I can’t go outside because they’ll mob me (for help).’ ”
“Are you doing lots of plates and rods?” the senior Nelson asked his son.
“ ‘No, because of the crush wounds, it’s not reconstructive surgery. I’ve literally been cleaning maggots out of wounds. There’s terrible infection and gangrene. Once we get them healing up, then I can go back and do the reconstructive work.’ ”
When Peter Nelson asked his son how he was holding up, he replied:
“ ‘I’m doing good right now, but two days ago I thought I was falling apart. But I’m doing better.’ ”
He told his father that the trauma surgeons who had come to Haiti to help him “ ‘just fell apart and started crying; they couldn’t do it anymore. They’ve left now; couldn’t take it. The psychological coping of the situation was overwhelming to them.’

No comments:

Post a Comment